Are You Having Fun At Work? Tap Into Your Fun Quotient!

Dear Friends,

As we celebrate Labor Day, I am reminded of a recent Gallup poll that mentioned that only 27 percent of American workers believe that they are engaged with their work and find that it is meaningful. That leaves 73 percent of the people who are not very happy with their work. That’s sad.

This disengaged workforce has a negative impact on the health and well-being of the corporations––not to mention the individuals in question. Without engagement, productivity is affected and profits won’t be as high as they could be if there was a higher percentage of employees who were giving it their all at work.

That’s why I believe we need to have more fun at work. That’s my Jungle Principle #1: Tap into Your Fun Quotient! If we’re just going into work for a paycheck, that’s not very fun. I’m suggesting that there’s a way to actually fulfill our financial responsibilities and contribute our gifts in the workplace––and have fun doing it.

I’ve discovered in my consulting work with numerous organizations and companies across the nation that when executives open the door to more fun and joy in the office, a shift happens.

A short time ago, I led a warm-up exercise where I asked everyone about their first concert and how old they were when they attended. One of the “button-down” executive accountants shared that he went to Def Leppard. Everybody began laughing because that just didn’t fit the image of how they saw him at work. However, that new perspective paved the way for greater communication––and that alone can create favorable benefits in the office.

Bringing fun into the workplace isn’t difficult. I once read an account of an engineering team that had to work over Easter weekend. The team leader showed up in a bunny suit to lighten the mood. The team had a productive day.

Perhaps you don’t have to go that far to bring a little levity to the office.  One of my clients holds a chili cook-off and a BBQ challenge––gas versus charcoal. These are easy ways to add fun, and most importantly, show ourselves that we are people before we are employees.

And remember, if you’re not in a leadership position, it doesn’t hurt to take some initiative. When one person is determined to have fun, others often join in. So, smile, laugh, and have a good time––wherever life takes you. Life, and especially work, can be joyful and adventurous––and more rewarding in a joyful environment.

Research has your back. A good leader will know that an engaged team is a productive team.

Happy Labor Day!

With love,

Cindy

P.S. Join me this Saturday, September 9 at the Carlsbad City Library at 2:00 p.m. for an Adventures by the Book-sponsored event, along with Lisa K. Shapiro, author of No Forgotten Fronts: From Classrooms to Combat, and Marlene Wagman-Geller, author of Women Who Launch. To reserve your seat and to pre-order signed copies of the books, http://bit.ly/jungleadventuresbythebook

Or if you can’t make the event, remember you can get an excerpt from Jungle at: http://bit.ly/jungleexcerpt

 

#cindyhenson #cindyhensonjungle #7PrinciplestoPeacePurposeFreedom #bringyourhearttowork #KathySparrow #hensonconsultinggroup #workplacefun #productivity #laborday #workplaceengagement #employeeengagement

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment

READY TO DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE?

Sign up and receive a FREE COMPANION WORKBOOK for Jungle: A Journey to Peace, Purpose, and Freedom

You have Successfully Subscribed!

READY TO DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE?

Sign up and receive a FREE COMPANION WORKBOOK for Jungle: A Journey to Peace, Purpose, and Freedom

You have Successfully Subscribed!